Monday, March 9, 2009

New Music Monday




This is one of my favorite songs. It is from the play Les Miserables. He (Jean Val Jean) has been on the run from the law for most of his adult life. He now is singing this prayer for a very badly wounded young man (Marius) who he just found out is in love with his daughter (Cosette), and his daughter loves him. In revolutionary France, imagine a father's thoughts towards a man who he knew would take care of his daughter and keep her safe after he is gone.

Now I must say, no one else can sing this song the way say this man, Colm Wilkinson , sings it. To say he is an amazing singer is a huge understatement. Close your eyes and listen to his voice, the emotion, the notes,..ahhhh. I could listen to this all day. I hope you enjoy it.

btw: if you have never seen this play, it is a must for a bucket list!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Les Miserables is my absolute favorite show!! It was the first one that I saw done professionally, back in 7th grade. Maybe that's why I love it so much! That show was the reason I got into theatre. And I agree no one sings that song like Colm Wilkinson. I've always wanted to hear a recording of when he played Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, but I don't think that recording exists. Though I will admit that I'm more of a Terrence Mann fan (the original Javert on Broadway). Unfortunately he isn't in the 10th Anniversary edition. He's on the original Broadway CD with Colm Wilkinson though!

Kathleen said...

Wow, sorry, I didn't realize how much I rambled on! Get me talking about Broadway and I never shut up!